So today I tried to import OPML (yeah, that very OPML) into Findory (see last entry). The OPML is based on what I originally exported from Lektora and has been through all my feed experiments. A sample entry:
<outline url="http://www.parand.com/say/index.php/feed/" text="Parand Tony Darugar" type="link"/>
What does Findory tell me? 97 feeds rejected for "invalid source".
Great. Now I actually have to get my hands dirty in OPML again. I
check the spec. Of course there's no useful information there. I
eventually found this Wiki of OPML
conventions. I saw the
type='rss' convention, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I also tried
xmlUrl rather than
url, like so:
<outline xmlUrl="http://www.parand.com/say/index.php/feed/" text="Parand Tony Darugar" type="link"/>
This time the Findory import works.
But not only do several of the feed readers I use have
url rather than
xmlUrl, but the XBEL to URL XSLT I've found assumes that name as well.
The conventions page also mentions
text as a way to
provide formatting in some vague way, but I've seen OPML feeds use only
title and nary a
text to be seen anywhere. Besides, what's wrong
with the XML way of allowing formatting: elements rather than
attributes. It's enough to boil the brain.
Speaking of XBEL, that's actually how I'm managing my feeds now, as I'll discuss further in the next entry. Now that Web feeds have become important to me I'll be using a sane format to manage them, thank you very much. I'll do the XSLT thing to export OPML for all the different tools that insist on tag soup. That is, of course, if I can figure out what precise shade of OPML each tool insists on. Today's adventure with feed URL attributes makes me wonder whether there is any escaping the chaos.